| Autism and ABA Programs
Autism and Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)
Courses, Certificates, & Degrees
Applied Behavior Analysis:
A Growing Treatment of Choice for ASD & Behavior Issues
Over the past 60 years, applied behavior analysis has become recognized as the treatment of choice for behavior problems associated with mental retardation, autism spectrum disorders, brain injury, and other disorders. Many people also recognize that applied behavior analysis is capable of producing remarkable results in classroom learning. Behavior Analysis is also recognized as "best practices" in the field of autism, behavioral health, addiction, and corrections.
Autistics may receive services from multi-disciplinary teams consisting of behavior analysts (BCBAs), counselors/psychologists, early intervention providers, teachers, occupational therapists, paraprofessionals, physical therapists, speech and language pathologists, and more. ABA can be integrated into the various support specialities to enhance their effectiveness with ASD patients.
The Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB) awards professional certifications that are internationally recognized and are standards in the industry. BACB's two most common certifications are Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) and Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analyst (BCaBA).
Autism Career Outlook
Autism and Behavior Analysts
Autism and Teachers
|Featured Autism ABA Online Schools
| The Chicago School of Professional Psychology
The nation's oldest and largest graduate school focused exclusively on psychology and related behavioral sciences.
Named to the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2009 (for the third consecutive year) and the only school of professional psychology to receive this award with distinction.
This BACB approved program is designed for experienced behavior professionals who want to advance their careers and pursue BCBA certification and educators wishing to improve instruction and behavior management in their classrooms.
Behavior Analysis Graduate Coursework
Includes Supervised Field Experience Options
Complete in Under a Year as a P/T Student*
Ideal For Autism, Behavior, & Education Professionals
- BACB approved sequence of coursework for BCBA certification eligibility
- Includes optional supervised practicum
- For behavior analysis and related professionals who want to update their licensure and/or develop mastery of behavior analytic theories and procedures
- For educators who want to improve instruction and behavior management in the classroom, especially special education and early childhood education professionals
- Can complete in one year as a part-time student*
- Applicants must hold a Master's degree from an accredited institution, that was conferred in behavior analysis or other natural science, education, human services, engineering, medicine, or related behavior analysis field approved by the BCBA
* Completion time is dependent on availability of field supervision. Students are not required to complete supervised field work with CSPP although the BACB requires supervised field work to be completed prior to sitting for the certification exam. CSPP offers options for for supervised fieldwork.
| University of Cincinnati
BACB Approved Course Sequence
Prepare to Sit for BCBA Certification Exam
The BACB approved online Behavior Analysis Graduate Certificate teaches students methods to develop effective interventions to address a wide array of learning and problem behaviors across typically developing populations and disability categories in both clinical and educational settings. Grounded in the ethical and best practices recommended by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board, the program examines the specific and comprehensive use of learning principles, such as operant and respondent learning. It also places emphasis on prevention and early intervention.
BACB Approved Course Sequence
Prepare to Sit for BCBA Certification Exam
The online BACB approved master's degree program in Foundations in Behavior Analysis provides an in-depth examination into the core competencies of applied behavior analysis. The coursework addresses the provision of assessment and intervention services to individuals in both educational and clinical settings. The program focuses on the core competencies of applied behavior analysis as published by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board, including behavioral assessment, functional behavior assessment/analysis, intervention for academic & behavior problems, data-based decision making & single-case design research methodology, and ethical standards for practice.
Brandman University Online
Brandman is proud to be named among the Best Online Education programs by U.S. News & World Report. In addition, U.S. News named Brandman among the top 10 undergraduate programs in the nation. (Ranked #8 in the 2013 Best Online Undergraduate Programs).
Master of Arts in Special Education
Ideal for Educators, Behavior Professionals and Parents
Special education teachers are an exceptional group of educators that serve as advocates for social justice and seek to uphold the dignity of all people including those with disabilities. The Master of Arts in Special Education with an emphasis in Autism explores etiologies and characteristics of autism disorders, the neurobiological and cognitive issues people with them experience, and assessment strategies for success.
Autism Is Still on the Rise
Since its first studies in 2000, the CDC has seen a steady and strong rise in the prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). In 2012, the CDC reported that (based on 2008 findings) 1 in 88 children have been diagnosed with Autism. That is a 23% increase from the previous 2006 data.
In the same report, the CDC noted that:
- ASDs are reported to occur in all racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic groups.
- ASDs are almost 5 times more common among boys (1 in 54) than among girls (1 in 252).
- About 1 in 6 children in the U.S. had a developmental disability in 2006-2008, ranging from mild disabilities such as speech and language impairments to serious developmental disabilities, such as intellectual disabilities, cerebral palsy, and autism.
Master of Arts in Psychology
Gender Diversity Studies
Request School Information
Update on BCBA Course Requirement
The Behavior Analysis Certification Board (BACB) has made changes to their requirements for candidates looking to become Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBA). The 4th Edition Task List will affect students taking the BACB exams starting in 2015.
- Beginning January 2015, the coursework eligibility requirements will increase 45 hours, from 225 hours to 270 hours, and there is now a requirement for a freestanding ethics course for BCBA.
- Beginning January 2015, a new exam will be administered to applicants that apply after September 2014.
- Students that qualify and apply for the BCBA exam under the 3rd Edition Task List can take the old exam through September 2014.
- Students that qualify and apply for the exam by September 2014 under the old requirements, but do not take or fail the old exam, can take the new exam in January 2015.
>> BACB Update: Course Requirements (pdf)
Degrees & Coursework
for BCBA and BCaBA Candidates
Aside from Applied Behavior Analysis degree holders, candidates with other degrees are also eligible for certification.
Effective January 2011, the following degrees were deemed acceptable by the BACB for BCBA and BCaBA candidates who wish to pursue certification.
- Clinical, counseling, or school psychology
- Clinical social work
- Occupational therapy
- Speech/language therapy
Candidates with degrees in other fields must contact BACB to request consideration for eligibility.
BCBA Candidates: If you hold a BACB approved master's degree in applied behavior analysis, your degree fulfills the graduate coursework requirement toward BCBA certification eligibility. If you hold a master's degree in a BACB approved related field, you will need to complete BACB approved graduate level ABA coursework.
BCaBA Candidates: If you hold a BACB approved bachelor's degree in applied behavior analysis, your degree fulfills the coursework requirement toward BCaBA certification eligibility. However, you intend to advance to BCBA certification, you must earn (1) a BACB approved ABA master's degree or (2) a degree in an approved related field plus BACB approved graduate level ABA coursework.